Saturday, January 7, 2012

Journal Article #8: A Lesson Well Learned.

Why I would eat taboo things and not feel ashamed for doing so. I love chicken hearts, gizzards, liver, tongue, blood, tripe, eyeballs, and a whole bunch of other intestines, organs, and body parts from all different kinds of animals. Why waste a perfectly tasty meal when all that scares you is the name of the food you are eating? This is a lesson I learned when I was little. I traveled to Missouri to my uncle’s place when I was really young and I tried something very rare and illegal. I was sitting in my uncle’s restaurant and they were cooking soup. Remember, I LOVE SOUP. So I ask them what the soup is and they said it was turtle soup. Not those tiny little turtles you can buy as pets. It was a huge turtle that they had accidently caught while fishing. I then remember seeing a dead turtle in the morning coming into the back of the restaurant. The first thing that I thought of was “EW!” I’m not going to drink or eat turtle soup. Back in San Francisco, you cannot eat turtle or drink turtle soup from so I thought it was completely weird. I went back to my uncle’s home that evening and they brought home soup. I did not think they would bring home or feed me the turtle soup that they cooked in the restaurant. I drank a bowl and I thought to myself, this is really yummy. Little did I know it was the turtle soup. My cousin then starting laughing because she said that it was turtle soup, the one I said “EW!” I then realized, I shouldn’t hate food for what it might be made of or from, but hate it if it doesn’t taste good to me. It was a lesson well learned.

word count: 305

No comments:

Post a Comment