Saturday, January 7, 2012

Journal Article #11: Food in Japan





When I travelled to Japan for three weeks, I was so not accustomed to how amazing their food was. Their cuisine was somewhat, Italian and French influenced. I remember I went to a very expensive French cafĂ© that served $15 coffees with a small sandwich. I also remembered I went to a very expensive European influenced desert place that served $15+ pieces of cakes that were amazingly decorated. I couldn’t eat expensive food throughout my trip in Japan, so I opted for breakfast from 7-11. Surprisingly, their 7-11 foods were always fresh and restocked every 6-8 hours because it would be sold out when it was displayed. I always bought a natto maki and ikura and spam o-nigiris for breakfast to make sure I had enough food. These little snack items were only $2 dollars each and they were so nutritiously healthy and delicious tasting. I also went to a lot of different types of Japanese cuisine that were not sushi. For example, I tried monjayaki, okonomayaki, yaki tori, izakaya, ramen, and yaki tori places. All of those different types of Japanese cuisine were amazing and they all were different and similar. There was a lot of grilled cooking in Japanese cuisines. The manners at the dinner table were also quite different in Japan compared to America. In Japan, you have to, may I stress, HAVE TO, say “ita-taki-mas” before you eat. Also, slurping noodles when eating ramen are a MUST to tell the chef and the cooks that the ramen tastes delicious. There are so many different cuisines in Japan that I haven’t tried and I will probably be going back to Japan for a longer period of time the next time I visit my friends there. Happy eating!! -_-V

word count: 288


P.S.- Attached are some food images from Japan. I love the ramen one!

No comments:

Post a Comment